We get manicures and pedicures at a Brooklyn Nail Salon. What Pat calls “the definition of comfort” makes Steve Lambert very uncomfortable.
Show notes below…
Our guest: Linda Sarsour, is the Executive Director of the Arab American Association of New York, a White House recognized “Champion of Change”, and is the co-founder of the Muslim Democratic Club of New York. She has received numerous awards and honors including “Champion of Change” by the White House, the New York City Council’s Shirley Chisholm Women of Distinction Award and received the inaugural American Muslim of the Year honor from the Council on American Islamic Relations.
Linda is a force on Twitter @LSarsour
A recent profile from Al Jazeera Linda Sarsour: New Generation of Muslim Activists
We visited a Nail Salon.
Duncombe and Lambert were reluctant to do this.
- Steve Duncombe = black
- Pat Jerido = silver
- Steve Lambert = clear
- Linda Sarsour = pale pink
Nail Salons are popular – according to Nails Magazine people paid nearly 7.5 billion dollars in nail services in 2013 and the industry is growing. Just look around your area, there will be a nail salon somewhere! What makes these spaces work, and how can we use it?
- Self Care
- Gender Norms
- The Nail Salon exposés in the New York Times
- The New York Times – The Price of Nice Nails: Manicurists are routinely underpaid and exploited, and endure ethnic bias and other abuse, The New York Times has found.
- The New York Times – Perfect Nails, Poisoned Workers: Some ingredients used in nail products have been tied to cancer, miscarriages, lung diseases and other ailments. The industry has long fought regulations.
- The fallout of those exposés has also been covered by the Guardian and includes emergency measures rolled out at the state level
- Trashy Magazines
- Symbolic acts of self care
- The Ministry of Love and the Sunshine Committee
- Leaving places feeling good
- Showing visible Appreciation
- activism as a sanctuary
- Transactional vs. Transformative relationships
- NYPD ends program monitoring Muslims
We mentioned the painter, Mike Henderson. Here’s a video profile of him done by KQED.
Also, the Poet Audre Lorde
Our pop culture picks
- Stephen Duncombe recommends Super Natural on The CW. “the series follows the two brothers as they hunt demons, ghosts, monsters, and other supernatural beings in the world.” And Super Natural Fan Participation
- Pat Jerido recommends the new Pixar movie, Inside Out – which Lambert has now seen and also recommends!
- Steve Lambert recommends The Home Depot and the idea of home repairs and remodeling can be a profound creative pursuit.
- Linda Sarsour recommends the Annual Arab American Bazaar on July 26, 2015 in Shore Road Park, Bay Ridge, Brooklyn
We recorded during a mild thunderstorm. It happens in New York in the summer.
Check out more examples of artistic activism on our site, artisticactivism.org.
Music: The Reigning Sound, “Stick Up for Me” courtesy of the Free Music Archive
The Pop Culture Salvage Expeditions on iTunes and wherever you get your podcasts.