The C4AA Board of Directors comprises leaders from the nonprofit and for-profit sector who are dedicated to the organization’s mission. Our board members champion the importance of creative activism and the value of research and training to help advocacy groups, artists, activists and others learn skills to help them win. In addition to the standard governance roles and responsibilities of a board member, our board members are active advocates and ambassadors for the organization and are fully engaged in identifying and securing the financial resources and partnerships necessary for C4AA to advance its mission.
Applications Due October 24
The C4AA Board of Directors comprises leaders from the nonprofit and for-profit sector who are dedicated to the organization’s mission. Serving on the C4AA Board of Directors is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about strengthening leadership and governance in the nonprofit sector. It is a growing organization that is expanding its resources, staffing and programming.
- Board members are expected to attend four board meetings per year. We meet in person when possible. Those Board members who are outside of the NYC metro area join online, except for at least one annual in-person meeting. Board members are expected to read board materials in advance of board meetings and to come prepared to ask questions, vote on policies, and participate in discussions.
- Board members are expected to serve on one or more committees of the board and to actively participate in committee work. Current committees include Strategic Planning, Fundraising, Finance, and Board Development.
- Board members are expected to have the financial acumen to read and understand C4AA’s financial statements and to otherwise help the board fulfill its fiduciary responsibilities. (If you’re unsure, apply anyway and we can discuss)
- Board members are expected to play an active role in securing the financial resources necessary for C4AA to achieve its mission. Board members are expected to work with the organization’s development team to identify and cultivate potential funders, as well as directly invest in C4AA’s work by making a personal contribution each year. The Board is committed to 100% giving at levels meaningful to each Board member.
- Board members are expected to responsibly represent C4AA to their respective communities and to advocate for C4AA’s mission, programs, and services as appropriate.
Desired Skills and Expertise
We are currently recruiting for diverse leaders with expertise in one or more of the following four areas:
Fundraising and/or Philanthropy
C4AA seeks a board member who has experience with and passion for fundraising for nonprofit organizations, with expertise in one or more of the following areas: institutional giving, major donors, individual giving. You would be an advisor to the rest of the Board and C4AA staff on fundraising strategies and processes.
C4AA seeks an experienced advocacy professional who has planned and implemented advocacy strategies and campaigns to support an issue or cause. You would help cultivate the board’s leadership role in advocacy in support of staff as part of a broader commitment to increase awareness about the importance of our mission, influence public policy, and expand our reach.
C4AA seeks an individual with professional experience in communications, especially communications strategy and planning to increase levels of awareness, engagement, impact, and support. You would help the organization think broadly about communications goals and strategic planning.
Nonprofit Legal Services Professional
C4AA seeks an individual with expertise in nonprofit law as pertains to federal and state laws and compliance. Experience in New York State is preferred but not required.
We’re open to other expertise as well. If you think you have skills that can contribute to our mission and objectives, and you’re willing to serve on our board, we want to hear from you!
In addition to these qualities, we’re looking for Board members who contribute to our community and culture of warmth and humor, curiosity and support. We prioritize potential Board members who are BIPOC folks, women, LGBTQ+ folks, religious minorities, immigrants, and differently abled people.
Experience with the Center for Artistic Activism through our trainings and programs is a plus, or other interest in and experience with arts + activism.
We want to find the best candidates for these Board of Directors positions even if a candidate does not have all the skills listed above. Though we are seeking some board members with board experience, we are also seeking a mix of backgrounds. A successful candidate may come from a less-traditional background. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and qualifications for this role as a wide variety of life experiences may equip you with the skills needed for this position.
Thank you so much for your interest in joining the board of C4AA. As you know, at the Center for Artistic Activism we help people use their creativity and culture to effect power.
We ask that you fill out this form and attach your resume/CV. If your application is accepted, you will receive an email from our Board Recruitment Committee to schedule an interview. Please feel free to reach out to Patricia Jerido (firstname.lastname@example.org), Steve Lambert (email@example.com) or Rebecca Bray (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
Applications Due: October 24